Finally… a PROVEN, results-based training to identify the right jobs given your background… discover organizations excited to speak with YOU… and turn your expertise into a reliable system to get a job – every time you need to get one
Use these tested, step-by-step techniques to turn your EXISTING skills into development and humanitarian sector job opportunities
After years of applying, I learned how to go from the endless job hunt to a new job in the international development sector — whenever I need to land one.
I remember submitting application after application only to learn landing that top position at the United Nations, World Bank, African Development Bank or a global NGO is just as difficult as earning my degrees and developing my professional skills.
I would check Relief Web, Devex, UN Jobs and other job portals every hour on the hour, to see if my dream job was still there. I used to submit application after application, only to get NO-RESPONSE in return – the only feedback was the computer generated one.
So many fail to get their job applications through to the interview short-list, even if they look at the duties and responsibilities and minimum qualifications in the Terms of Reference and see they can do the job if given the opportunity.
Because they prepare for the job-search in the wrong way.
They may be familiar with the most popular job websites. Know some of the techniques to get a job in development, like using keywords from the ToR in their CV.
But still they wonder: How much time should be spent on the Cover Letter, does anybody even read it? And worry about having experience in different sectors (or no experience at all), leaving out major parts of their background that can connect to the hiring need.
What’s missing is using a systematic process to stop worrying about finding your next job, and instead get started doing work you love. A process you know uses techniques proven to persuade hiring managers that you’re already part of the team from the first line they read in your CV – that it’s just a formality to hire you.
Because of the system I’ve built and used in my own career, when I apply to new assignments today the chances are on my side. I know that every time I compete with hundreds of others to get a job offer, I stand among the top performers to break in.
Don’t waste months of time, lose thousands in income, or miss your opportunity to make an impact
Hi there, I’m Chris Kuonqui.
In 2019, I entered my 17th year working for multiple international development organizations, including 4 UN agencies, 2 multilateral development banks, and 1 large NGO. I’ve been lucky to work with experts and people in 26 countries in every region of the world.
But luck wasn’t all there was to it.
Back when I started looking for a job in development, I spent months searching, networking, and applying, only to drain my savings to almost nothing before finding that next position to grow my career. It was a tough time, with little hope. I almost came to regret studying a degree in development that wasn’t giving me the chance to break in.
It was then that I started on a journey to learn how top performers in the sector constructed their careers, built their expertise, and were able to work around the world. Through countless conversations with colleagues, friends and mentors in development, I learned the top job-getting strategies and began crafting a system that would cut my time to a new assignment in half.
Over the years, I’ve spent hundreds of hours understanding the development and humanitarian sector job market. And through my own applications, I’ve experimented with different types of CV templates, scripts to reach out to hiring managers, and gone on to interview for dozens of jobs.
As a result, I’ve served as everything from permanent staff to intern to 60 day consultant (there are LOTS of shades in between).
I rose to be a hiring manager at the UN where I read thousands of applications, participated on interview panels for dozens of jobs, and seen a ton of different hiring situations unfold from an insider’s seat at the hiring table.
What I didn’t do was waltz into a top development job based on who I know. That seems to be the solution everyone tells you about – it explains why you haven’t heard back from any of those job applications, right? You MUST not know the right people. But the data show, less than 1 in 5 people break into the UN because they know someone.
This means learning how to identify the best opportunities for you, understanding the psychology of hiring, and mastering the craft of marketing yourself to an organization is essential to keep your career alive in the development sector.
Because of the system I’ve built over the years, when I apply to new assignments today the chances are on my side. And I know that every time I compete with hundreds of others to get a job offer, I stand among the top performers to break in.
But there’s no way around it – getting a top job in international development is messy, long and can leave you even questioning your own skills.
I want to shortcut this process for you with the exact strategies I’ve used to grow my career and that have taken me around the world to work on challenges from designing industrial policy to training the South Sudan government on gender mainstreaming, planning and budgeting.
I want to help you avoid the common pitfalls so many fall into and accelerate your time to get your dream impact job, the one you’ve been preparing for through years of study, research and work.
That’s why after months of development, I’m releasing a new program that will show you my step-for-step system to make your application stand-out, land you the interview and finally give you the chance to prove what you’re capable of doing.
Here’s what happened to me after building a systematic process that guaranteed my finding a new job when I want to…
- DREAM POSITIONS: I rose faster and higher as I moved from one job to the next. I went from an admin position to a research position to an officer and then to a hiring manager — in the short span of a few years, winning jobs that most of my friends and colleagues would have loved to do.
- INSTANT TICKET ROUND THE WORLD: I made a list of countries I wanted to work in – and used my job-getting skill to win jobs that would take me anywhere I wanted to go.
I got to work in Bhutan. This was me doing interviews with communities impacted by climate change…
I went to Afghanistan as the Head of the Policy Unit for a major UN agency. Here was the view from my office on the first day of heavy snow in January a few years ago…
My work even took me to see Beyonce in concert in New York at the first Global Citizen festival…
- INVITATIONS TO SPEAK AT CONFERENCES: I presented at international conferences at Columbia University, New School University in New York, and University of Groningen in the Netherlands.
I also gave a lecture at the University of Khartoum. Here was the banner that invited the Sudanese public to come see me talk.
- CONSISTENT INCOME & STABLE ORGANIZATIONS: The positions I used my job-getting system to find gave me a comfortable income where I didn’t worry about making my bills every month. I also worked with stable organizations with values I agreed with – making sure I was contributing to work I found valuable.
Have you spent months shooting your applications into the dark only to get no response?
I’ve been there. And let me tell you… Once I realized these TWO things, everything changed. Want to know what they are?
#1. You DON’T need a second Master’s degree, more certificates or a series of new letters after your name.
You can find and get stable jobs in great organizations by telling what I call your Hero Story. You see, every time a hiring manager makes the decision to advertise a development job, they just want to find someone who can take their team to the next level.
I guarantee you: you have skills and experience not only to meet the minimum requirements for that new job. But to EXCEED EXPECTATIONS – for you, for them, and for the organization. So that projects keep on delivering and development results reach the communities we serve.
So what’s blocking you?
It’s showing hiring managers – the only ones who matter in the room – that you’re ready. With compelling evidence and examples that you’re capable of hitting the road running.
Your unique Hero Story is what you need to find and tell to persuade them you have the skills and experience in your background to get them to the next level.
#2. The success of your development career is not personal — it’s about what you can do FOR OTHERS. Either you know the exact data and results that show hiring managers what you can deliver, or you need to uncover them. It comes down to finding your NICHE:
N o one
I s as
C apable and at
H ome in this
E xpertise as you
Once I learned how to identify my unique NICHE for each and every job, I went from feeling undervalued in my work and afraid of not finding a job true to myself – to breaking out of my comfort zone, working in every country I wanted to, and reaching a director-level assignment faster than most of my colleagues.
This system works not just for me – but for dozens of others…
I want to accelerate your time to your next job in development with the exact strategies I’ve used to grow my career and that have taken me around the world to work on challenges from designing industrial policy to training the South Sudan government on gender mainstreaming, planning and budgeting.
That’s why after months of development…
…years in the making…
…and tested with dozens of other students…
…I’m releasing a new program that will show you my step-for-step training to make your application stand-out, land you the interview and finally give you the chance to prove what you’re capable of doing.
“Break Into Development: Kick Down Doors, Stop Wasting Time and Start Making a Difference”
A world-class training program that gives you the exact insider secrets, tactics, and psychological strategies to crack the code of finding a development job to make your impact on the world
Break Into Development is a tested, step-by-step, 4-week program to not only get feedback on your development sector job applications, but to get invited to the interview. Rapidly identify opportunities that match your skills and interests – and know which are a waste of your time. Define your unique story – and the challenges and problems you’ve solved – in a powerful new way to persuade hiring managers to place you on the short-list of top candidates.
Through this program, you will build a job-getting machine that will 10x your chances for every development role you apply to.
Your Break Into Development program includes:
The Insider’s Roadmap to Finding Your First or Next Development Job
- Breakthrough the mental barriers that hold you back, find your passion, and see the real value you bring to a new team (women are especially prone to not seeing how they can make their full impact, but this can be quickly corrected)
- A simple technique to identify your accomplishments, your strengths, gap areas—and your “why”
- Uncover the step-by-step roadmap to the job you daydream about doing, where you can finally contribute to making your community more just, equal and inclusive for all
- By-pass success killers that block you from even applying for your dream position or organization, make you question your own skills, and leave you unsure if you have the “right” expertise
- Inside the Vault: Use a set of techniques to remain confident when your applications get no response
Discover Your Dream Organization & Team
- Decode the development landscape and know the types of organizations, opportunities and contract levels available
- Forecast new opportunities by knowing where the money comes from and how to connect to donor interests, ideas and strategies
- Use the jargon decoder technique to become fluent in the key words, acronyms, buzzwords and latest ideas influencing the development job market
- Tap into under-utilized tools to gauge if you identify with the core values, culture, and team dynamics of a target organization
- Inside the Vault: How to calculate your salary
- Inside the Vault: Case Study: Becoming a World Bank Africa Fellow
- Inside the Vault: Priority and high aid countries
Zero-In on Vacancy Announcements
- Where to find “inside information” about an organization and use this information to meet the understated real needs of a ToR
- Adopt a “Window Shopping Strategy” in top job websites, and how to find unadvertised opportunities
- How to decide priority jobs, sectors and organizations most available to you
- Find opportunities in locations you care about
- Inside the Vault: Transitioning from graduate school
- Inside the Vault: Transitioning from other sectors (private sector, teaching, and others)
The Inside Secrets on Hiring Practices
- Learn key recruitment patterns that cut across the development sector and determine how hiring happens
- Begin thinking like hiring managers and know how to tap into their everyday needs to put your best foot forward (legitimately and ethically)
- How to stop wondering if you’re even qualified and start leveraging your background and story to tick off competency-based needs (and find out what those really are)
- Inside the Vault: Do they have someone in mind already?
The Components of a Stand-Out Application
- Use our innovative NICHE technique to position yourself as a top candidate
- How to build authentic relationships that help you look for a job, grow in your career and keep you moving up the impact ladder
- The secrets to hiring manager attention-grabbing CVs and Cover Letters that get you invited to the interview (and know what common pitfalls NOT to waste time on)
- How to craft your story to engage with development professionals and stand-out above the competition
- Inside the Vault: CV teardown
- Inside the Vault: Job Application System
But this isn’t for everyone
I’m selective about who I invite into my programs. I’d rather work with a small group of students who are committed to growing their careers and ready to position themselves to make their development impact, than a large group of people who are looking for someone else to find them a job or just interested in blaming “the system” for a lack of opportunities.
And, this course isn’t for absolute beginners.
Break Into Development is NOT for you if…
- You are unfamiliar with the jobs application process to a development organization.
- Do not meet the minimum qualifications in education, language or skills for your dream job.
- Are looking for a magic solution to your job hunt without putting in the challenging work of following the Break Into Development system.
Here’s what our students have to say:
One of my highest performing clients, Ousmane from Burkina, wrote me just a few days ago to say he started a dream job at the World Bank, with a well-deserved promotion to the senior level. Congrats, Ousmane!
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
How long do I have access to the course?
What if I am unhappy with the course?
How long is this course?
Are updates included with this course?
Is this course for beginners or experienced professionals?
Are payment plans available?
What forms of payment do you take?
Use this material for the rest of your life
Once you learn how to find, interview for, and GET top jobs in global development, that’s knowledge you can use for the rest of your career.
We all expect to have up to 15 jobs throughout our working lives. You can now have a system to get your next position, and the one after that. Because one thing is certain in development: funding patterns will change, donor interests will shift, and it will be up to you to be ready for new opportunities.
You will get lifetime access and FREE future updates.
I aim to make this the best course you ever join. Yes, better than your university and graduate education. Because I will show you the proven methods to grow a career in international development I’ve built, tested and shared with others working in 26 countries around the world.
When you join, you receive LIFETIME ACCESS.
That means the material will be here for you in a month… a year… even 10 years, when you’re looking to apply to your own director-level position.
Other benefits of joining Break Into Development:
Access to Break Into Development-only events, including private calls with experts and friends who work in the World Bank, UNDP, UN Women and other major development organizations who will share their secrets and insights.
Future updates to Break Into Development, where I’ll add to the materials over time to make sure your questions are answered and this course provides the state-of-the-art in helping you GET your dream job in international development.
First access to new products and courses from Impact Growth Lab.
Join Break Into Development – with GUARANTEED RESULTS
Because I stand by this product as the only available, proven system for breaking into development, I welcome you to try this program risk free.
Try it for 30 days.
If you have gone through all the video lessons, filled out each of the worksheets, and reached out to us for direct support to get you unstuck within 30 days of your purchase, I will grant you a refund.
No career coach, CV editing service or MA degree program will GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK if you don’t get results. If it doesn’t work for you, I will refund the full cost of the program within 30 days of purchase.
4 weeks from now, where will you be?
You could not join and watch another month go by, as your frustration and disappointment grow with each new failed application.
Or worse yet, next year comes around and you’re still stranded at the current stage of your career, as your skills and passion to make a difference slowly fade away…
What your days could be like if you can stop wasting time finding jobs – and start being able to lead a life of real, meaningful impact. For you, your family and your community. If you could find an organization and team that ACTUALLY values your skills and contributions—where you can grow your influence and make a difference.
You could wake up in the morning with the latest results from your team implementing a new scaling approach to your project. Donors could be looking to fund your next initiative. And policymakers could be reforming legislation based on the findings of your latest analysis.
With salary and benefits paying you what you’re worth, you will no longer feel financial pressure to support your family. You can focus on growing your skills, building your impact and living a life of difference for others.
With our proven system, all of this is possible. You can finally increase your chances for a top development job 2x – every time you need to get a new impact opportunity.